Grain-Free Coffee Cake by Carrie Vitt
This cake developed by Carrie Vitt of Deliciously Organic is a moist breakfast cake, not too sweet and quite the treat for those looking to cut out some gluten, refined sugars or grains from their diet. The recipe can also be made without the topping for a simple snack cake. Also, if you prefer a sweeter cake, you can increase the honey to 3/4 cup.
Grain-Free Coffee Cake
For the batter:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup plain whole yogurt
1/2 cup light honey, such as clover
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, etc.)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons light honey, such as clover
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF and adjust rack to middle position.
2. To make the batter: Melt the butter or coconut oil and place in a food processor or blender. Add the remaining batter ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour batter into a buttered 8 x 8 – inch baking dish.
3. To make the topping: Wipe out food processor bowl with a paper towel or cloth. Cut butter into tablespoons. Place in the bowl of a food processor and add the nuts, cinnamon, and honey. Pulse until nuts are coarsely chopped and ingredients bind together.
4. Drop spoonfuls of topping over batter and then using a butter knife, swirl the topping into the top layer of the batter.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes.
6. Cut and serve. Coffee cake is best served the day it is prepared.