The Only Oven Fried Chicken Recipe You Need… by Alyssa Brantley
If you eat chicken and like food, you probably like Fried Chicken. You probably love Fried Chicken! But you probably don’t want to use an entire day’s worth of calories on a single piece of chicken. Or lose the ability to button your jeans for the remainder of the weekend. It’s good and all, but not that good. Especially now that you can make this Oven Fried Chicken by Everyday Maven!
The Only Oven Fried Chicken Recipe You Need…
1 whole 3 to 4 pound organic chicken
1 5-ounce box Classic Melba Toast
1 tablespoon kosher salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¾ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Non-stick cooking spray or oil mister
1. Start by lining a baking sheet with tin foil and place cooking rack on top. Lightly spray cooking rack with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400F. Place oven rack in upper middle position.
2. Cut chicken into 8 pieces (2 breasts, 2 legs, 2 wings and 2 thighs), remove skin and set aside (You can also ask the butcher to do this for you when you purchase the chicken to save time!)
3. Now, let’s crush the Melba Toast. If you are a patient person and want the best possible results, place the Melba Toast in a large ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush it. If you are crunched for time or slightly impatient like me, throw it in the food processor. Help the process a bit by crushing it in the package before tossing into the food processor bowl. You do NOT want the Melba Toast to be completely pulverized. Leave some little pebbles and texture for maximum crispy crunch!
4. Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder and oregano. Pulse a couple more times.
5. Combine Dijon and light mayo in a shallow dish.
6. Get an assembly line ready: chicken, a shallow dish or plate with mayo mixture, Melba crumbs and lined baking sheet.
7. Coat one piece of chicken at a time with mayo mixture (just enough to lightly coat) and press into Melba toast crumbs, making sure the chicken is evenly coated. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
8. Use an oil mister or non-stick cooking spray to lightly spray each piece of chicken.
9. Cook chicken for 60 minutes, rotating the baking sheet one time at 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve and Enjoy!